Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Watermelon Cookies

I got this idea on the web somewhere, but now I can't seem to find where.  Anyway, I've been wanting to make these ever since I found them, and hadn't found a "reason" to make them yet.  Well, tonight is our Fall Kick-off for Brigade, which is the jr/sr high ministry at our church

These are not watermelon flavored, but just look like watermelon slices. 

First, Grab your favorite sugar cookie recipe.  I use one from Gooseberry Patch Old-Fashioned Country Cookies recipe book.  Prepare the dough as normal, except add in some green food-coloring.  (You may have to add a little bit more flour due to the liquid of the food-coloring).  Continue as directed in the recipe.  Roll them out and cut them into half-circles.  I used the top of a round tupperware container and then cut those in half.  And BAKE.

For the frosting, I use butter frosting from Better Homes and Garden cookbook:
1/3 cup butter or margarine
4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
milk
red or pink food coloring

Mix this up and frost the cookies, leaving an edge on the outer circle part to make it look like a watermelon slice.  Then I used chocolate chips to look like seeds! Here's how mine turned out - please keep in mind, my husband had the camera at the church getting ready for the night and my 3-yr old "helped" me in most stages.

Hope the kiddos love them as much as we have (You have to "try" them to be sure the taste ok)

(The left-over frosting goes wonderfully with graham crackers for a quick snack)

0 comments:

Post a Comment