Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Homemade Laundry Soap

The festival wasn't as big of a hit as I had hoped.  I had high hopes of selling out of everything, but that was not the case.  I have contacted the two people that said they would like to host a Homemade Gourmet party, but haven't gotten anything on the calendar yet.  Hopefully, those two parties will pull through and help me make up what I invested and break even.

So the last couple of weeks I've spent catching up on housework and spending time with the kiddos.  I haven't had much time to create.  My first thing to tackle will be the new bedroom curtains, which won't be fancy due to the small amount of fabric I have, but we'll see what I can figure out.  Meanwhile, I wanted to post this awesome recipe for laundry soap.  It is minimal work to prepare and TONS cheaper than buying soap.  My husband's cousin gave me this recipe, but there are several variations online.  This is a powder recipe, but you can even make the liquid stuff from scratch as well.  Here's to saving money!

Ingredients:
1 cup shaved Felz-Naptha soap (I haven't found this in walmart, but the smaller grocery stores seem to carry it by their regular body soap)
1/2 cup Borax (found in laundry aisle)
1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Powder (also found in laundry aisle)

I usually shave about 2/3 of a bar of Felz-Naptha and that makes 2 cups of shavings.  Then I mix in 1 cup each of Borax and A&H Powder.  I bought 1 box of borax and A&H powder over a year ago, and still haven't bought more.  I've bought quite a few bars of soap, but they're about $1.25 or less a piece.  SO CHEAP compared to buying laundry soap.  I love it!  You can save the rest of the bar of soap for pre-treating stains, too!

HAPPY LAUNDERING!

0 comments:

Post a Comment